Wednesday, December 01, 2010

R is for Reynolds and Reed

Last year I was steadily going through my SFF book collection, cataloguing it and photographing it, and putting the pictures and lists up here just for interest. This morning I woke at 5.00 and couldn't get back to sleep, so I got up, cut my hair, had a shower, then climbed up into the loft and started sorting through those books again. I'd reached the letter P before, so now let's go on to R.


There's not many Rs here and looking through my 'Encyclopedia of Science Fiction' I can't see any others I would have wanted to include. Maybe if I had an encyclopedia of fantasy I would have found more, and maybe I should have included Rowling, but they're Caroline's books.

ROBERT REED:
MARROW
SISTER ALICE

ALASTAIR REYNOLDS:
CHASM CITY
REVELATION SPACE
ABSOLUTION GAP
REDEMPTION ARC
GALACTIC NORTH
THE PREFECT
PUSHING ICE

MICHAEL SCOTT ROHAN:
THE ANVIL OF ICE
THE FORGE IN THE FOREST
THE HAMMER OF THE SUN

ERIC FRANK RUSSELL:
WASP

8 comments:

Spencer said...

She tells a good story does J.K Rowling. The films are horrific though. Im assuming the books in your loft are ones you've read ages ago, and have been moved to make space for more current ones? One of the best Alastair Reynolds books was the latest, Terminal World. But again im sure you need no guidance!!!

Xanares said...

My Reynolds collection is almost the same :-). Curious as to how you find the Revelation Space series Neal, knowing you liked House of Suns.

I liked HoS more than RS in many ways, but they both have their strengths.

Actually didn't read Rowling yet, which makes it hard to follow to movies - the latter ones anyway.

Neal Asher said...

Ah, I enjoy the films too, Spencer. Give me a good old bit of escapism and I'm doing part of the work.

I think I prefered RS because I became more immersed in a series as opposed to a single book. Some of his books I have not liked, but mainly because of the characters, never because of his depiction of the total cold indifference and immensity of outer space. Been reading his stuff since I first found it in Interzone.

Anonymous said...

I couldn't quite believe there were so few SF authors in the 'R' section, but having reviewed my own collection (rather conveniently catalogued over on LibraryThing), I see it's true! Hardly anyone in the Rs ... I do have Justina Robson (her Quantum Gravity series is light fun, when you're in the mood for that), and Adam Roberts.

Neal Asher said...

Kiskil, it's likely I have read more Rs than you see here, but same surprise with me, really. As I said, I checked that encyclopedia and saw very few I recognized. 'S' is going to be better as is, oddly, 'V'.

SpMP said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SpMP said...

I for one love Andy Remic's books, especially his first book: Spiral. He has a very unique writing style.

Fader209 said...

Ah yes, Alastair Reynolds.
I feel like it's almost a betrayal to admit that he is also my favourite author next to Neal of course.

I just find both authors are so different and yet write in the same genre.
Reynolds stories tend to be a lot darker and sinister whereas Neals books have stronger and more memorable characters and also include humour.
That's obviously briefly summarising there lol.

So far in my book collection the results are:
Reynolds - 9 books
Asher - 12 books

So yeah...still in the lead ;)

Andy