Sunday, February 21, 2010

Book Haul

Real highstreet book shops still have their appeal, especially when you know you want something, but are not sure what. The stack of books beside my bed was sadly lacking in decent SF so I wandered into Waterstones in Chelmsford to see what I could find. After signing their stock of my books, I started browsing, and was glad I did. Remembering authors I have enjoyed, picking up and handling books and reading the cover blurbs certainly works. I discovered quite a few that were in the 'I must get that' category, but then forgot to get. Here's my haul:


Alastair Reynolds produces few duds, which means I'll always buy his next book, and I've heard good things about this one.


Always loved Greg Egan's stuff, but it's sadly lacking in my collection. Reading the first bit of the blurb 'A million years from now...' was quite enough.


Greg Bear is another writer I've always liked, and I looked up this one when I found it on the Salamander Award shortlist with The Skinner, and thought then that I really should buy it.



I very much enjoyed Eric Brown's stories in Interzone, many years ago, and it's quite daft that I've never read one of his books. And reading the blurb of this it looks like this is an oversight I'm going to enjoy correcting.

10 comments:

Owen Roberts said...

Incandescence is hard core as is usual for Egan. Perhaps this time though, just too hard. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the science (the parts that I actually understood), but it's less a story, and more a cool way to write a textbook.

LarryS said...

Blood Music is a classic-have-have read it twice. Some say its one pof the first Cyber punk novels- I don't know about that, especially as that's my least favourite sub genre.
Reynolds,hmmm,have read half way thru Pushing Ice but ran out of steam-it was me, not the book and its now on my wishlist because what I did read I enjoyed! I also have his duet Diamond Dogs, Turquoise Days on my shelf to read.
Egan is one I remain curious about even tho a) he writes primarily Cyber punk and b) I got stuck on Permutation City. Need another try!

Michael Stone said...

Of those, I've only read Blood Music. I enjoyed it...I think. It was such a long time ago. I keep meaning to try Reynolds and Brown, I've heard good things about both. Greg Egan is too much like hard work.

vaudeviewgalor raandisisraisins said...

oooo aaaah Blood Music. i read that a million years ago. took less than a day. sweet yoink there.
Egan's Distress has to be my fave of all of his. it's got enough interesting things going on without bogging you down.

http://sfbook.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=350

Perm City has to be my least fave. i read it. picked it up again to see if i missed anything years later, and remembered, oh ya, that was pretty forgettable. now i've forgotten it again.

Diasporia was a rough read.
http://sfbook.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=217

-goldfishmindgalore

bascule said...

You should look out Eric Browns "Kethani", it's his Kathani related short stories turned into a novel.

SF with a heart I've seen it called somewhere, it is just the kind of book that got me reading SF 38 years ago.

Blood Music is a cracker btw.

Plus O/T sorry but I think you'll like this

New element discovered

Neal Asher said...

Governmentium, yes. They've also found the reverse of the Philosopher's Stone at Number 10 - one touch and it turns gold into shite.

Xanares said...

I liked House of Suns, gave it for xmas along with your Gridlinked/The Skinner to bro-in-law.

Hope to check out the others.

Grim's Reality said...

Love the New element.

Phil Ackerman said...

I have all except Blood music. Loving reading Egan at the moment, reading Oceanic here and there and just finished Quarantine (now back onto one of yours). Looking forward to reading House of Suns, definitely read soon.

Jebel Krong said...

haha gordon brown as an anti-midas - love it (because it's true)!